Multi Day Event Var...

Multi Day Event Variation  

RSS

adelaide_bike_hire
(@martin-grace71)
New Member Customer
31/07/2018 2:52 am  

Hi there (Roger ?),

Is there a way to create an event that has one set of controls (start, checkpoints, finish) that can be located over the 7 day period. At the moment it looks like Sporteering's 7 day event is split up into 7 individual days (7 mini events), with each day having their own start, checkpoints & finish.

I would like to run a tourist event in January over 7 days where the competitor scans the start QR code (once) and then has 7 days to go to all the check points (on any day or in any order). Once they have completed some or all of the checkpoints they then scan the finish QR code (once). IOrienteering was able to do this over a 4 day period eg 99 hours.

Regards

Martin
South Australia

Roger
(@user)
Moderator Admin
31/07/2018 11:12 am  

Hi Martin - Welcome to the forum and Sporteering.

Just to clarify your question do you want the event to be open for 7 days and they can visit the controls over consecutive days with the 7 day period.   Will they Start and fisinish from the same place every day or different places?

As I'm sure you have deduced Sporteerings "day" is 24 hours long and at the end of that day it closes each competitors system down, this is to prevent spurious times arriving in after an event has finished.

Depending on your answers there are several work-arounds.

1. Make every control a START and only one FINISH - this way they can turn up each day and start anywhere within the course and only finish on day7.  The problem with this method is their times will be difficult to calculate over the 7 day period.

2. Have a fixed start and finish which they have to score each day

3. This one is the most complicated but may work and is untested and would only work using QR controls.  Create 2 controls for every location, and make one the START and the other the FINISH, I would suggest colour coding them.   So a competitor can go to any control on any day and scan the start one, score several more and then finally scan a finish control.  This would give you an accurate time over the whole period. 

There are a couple of other way I can think might work but see if any of these suite your needs. 

Roger

System Architect

ReplyQuote
adelaide_bike_hire
(@martin-grace71)
New Member Customer
03/08/2018 1:32 am  

Thank you for getting back to me Roger. Yes I am really looking forward to using your cool sporteering app. Sorry I have taken a few days to respond. I had to spend some time running a few tests as you suggested.

Before I talk about the tests, I wanted to give you some addition info about my planned event. It will be a tourist event rather than a true orienteering race. My event does not need to be timed or have a time limit (even though there is a 7 day sporteering limit). I want tourists to go to several tourist locations around the city & scan a QR code. They can start on any day of the year, start on any control, go to any of the controls on any day of the event and in any order. At the end of the event (currently 7 days) I would like to see how many people entered the event and also see what controls each person got to.

In regards to the testing I carried out. Unfortunately I was unable to complete the tests because I found a timing fault with the app, which auto completed the event well before the 24 hr daily time limit I set. I have explained the fault in the test summary below. Once this has been fixed I will run the tests again.

Test - 1 day event (24 hour time limit) : Unfortunately the app auto completed the event at midnight UK time, which was well before the Australian 24 hour event period that I had set. I therefore was unable to check if the app allowed controls to be scanned after the 24 hour event period. I did this test several times and the same issue happened each time. When looking at the exported scanned csv file I could see from the control scan date/time stamps (are in UK time instead of event time) that it auto completed around midnight UK time eg I was able to scan a control at 22:46 UK time but just over an hour later the app had auto completed, which stopped me scanning another control even though my 24 hour event time had not passed.

Test - 2 day event (same control locations each day – 24 hour time limit each day) : Tried to clone day 1 controls to day 2 but was unable to. Looks like the cloning feature is currently set up for cloning between events rather than between days of the same event. In the end I manually created the same controls in each day. Once this was done I did a simple check first and ran the 2 day event over a couple of minutes, and it worked. Unfortunately when I ran the test over a longer period, it had the same timer issue as in the above test. Therefore around midnight UK time it auto closed not only day 1 but the whole 2 day event, well before the 24 hour day 1 period. When I looked at day 2 it stated “you must complete the previous days”. This is because the whole event had been auto completed in under the 24 hour period of the first day.

Are you able to look into this timer issue please so I can re run the tests.

One once the time issue is sorted out then I wouldn’t mind asking about the following as well please:

• What parameters set up the shape of a QR Code. I just want to make sure the same locations have same the QR codes on different days.
  • Any chance at some stage making events more than 7 days eg 10 or 14 days.

Regards

Martin
South Australia

ReplyQuote
Roger
(@user)
Moderator Admin
05/08/2018 10:20 pm  

Martin

Before I answer I will ask our coders to comment first and then I will get back to you. 

Thank you for the full commentary, greatly appreciated.

Roger

System Architect

ReplyQuote
adelaide_bike_hire
(@martin-grace71)
New Member Customer
03/09/2018 11:37 pm  

Hi Roger,

Have your coders had a chance to look into this yet?

I will call you during the week to discuss.

Speak to you soon.

Regards

Martin

ReplyQuote
Share: